Containerized import and export cargo volumes are growing at almost all U.S. ports. Increasing volumes and the increasing cargo-carrying capacity of new container vessels are contributing to
- congestion on public roads in and near container terminals,
- delays at container terminal gates and in terminal yards,
- delays and expense in delivery of containers to near-dock rail facilities and near-dock container yards, warehouses, and distribution centers.
FSS offers solutions for linking container terminals directly to off-dock facilities such as rail yards, clusters, or distribution centers or extensions of the port facility in less congested areas. The FSS also offers Port Authorities and Terminal Operators the opportunity to reduce dwell time and gate congestion by moving customer container pickup operations to efficient (zero congestion), off-dock FSS terminals in areas with less traffic and fewer bottlenecks.
The Seaport Express Operational Model
- Distance: 1 to 20 miles.
- Terminals: One FSS terminal in container terminal and others in off-dock intermodal nodes.
- Freight Containers: Ocean containers.
- Freight Shuttle Vehicle: Fixed cargo bay adapted for ocean containers.
- Cargo Weights: Up to 70,000 lbs.
- Speeds: Up to 35 mph.
- Security Option: 100 percent in-motion screening and integrated customs operations.
- Links to: Container yards, DCs, rail yards or port property extensions.
Benefits of Seaport Express
- Reduced congestion.
- Terminal gates.
- Off-dock rail gates.
- Local roadways.
- Enhanced efficiency at intermodal cargo network nodes (terminals, rail yards, DC Clusters etc.).
- Improved air quality.
- Reliability: No moving parts to wear out or fail.
- Time-certain delivery for customers.
- Improved safety.
- Expanded capacity using private capital or public private partnerships.
- Increased government revenue: Lease payments.
- Reduced road maintenance.
- Economic impact: construction jobs and permanent operating and maintenance jobs.
- Lower cost transportation: Lower fuel consumption.
- Minimal impact on traffic: Guideway will be prefabricated and constructed from the top of the deck.