All across the United States, communities are experiencing traffic congestion in certain heavily traveled public roadways. Examples are numerous but include the I-35 corridor between Dallas, Texas, and Laredo, Texas, and the I-95 corridor in the North East and Mid-Atlantic Regions of the East Coast. Truck traffic moving freight through these corridors contributes significantly to congestion, delays, pollution, road wear and crashes. Frequently, these corridors are “built out” with little or no room to expand capacity. The Freight Shuttle System (FSS) offers a solution in these corridors.
According to section 1B, one of the Goals of the 2015 FAST Act, is to “reduce congestion and eliminate bottlenecks on the National Multimodal Freight Network.” With a footprint of less than 10 square feet on the ground within the existing right-of-way, FSS offers state departments of transportation and other regional stakeholders the opportunity to add capacity to existing corridors by using the air space above to move freight traffic.
- Distance: 100 to 500 miles.
- Terminals: At each end of the system and at key economic zones along route.
- Freight Containers: 53-ft. over-the-road trailers.
- Freight Shuttle Vehicle: Rotating cargo bay.
- Cargo Weights: Up to 70,000 lbs.
- Speeds: Up to 70 mph.
- Links to: Truck and/or rail operations.
Benefits of the Highway Corridor Express
- Reduced congestion.
- Improved air quality.
- Improved safety.
- Expanded capacity using private capital.
- Increased government revenue: Lease payments.
- Reduced road maintenance.
- Economic impact: Construction jobs & permanent operating and maintenance jobs.
- Lower cost transportation: Lower fuel consumption.
- Links to other transportation modes: Compatible with all existing intermodal freight systems. It is designed to work with the trucking and railroad industries, not replace them.
- Minimal impact on traffic: Guideway will be prefabricated and constructed from the top of the deck.
- Reliability: No moving parts to wear out or fail
- Time-certain delivery for customers.